Many of you emailed or tweeted me on September 9 in honor of last year's 09-09-09 Twitterthon for The B2F Project to stop child trafficking -- and asked if I was doing another one on 10/10/10.
By popular demand, yes, there WILL be a Twitterthon on 10/10/10. And no, you don't have to be on Twitter to be part of it!
Here's our goal:
Every penny we raise will go to The Born2Fly Project to stop child trafficking.
And here's how you can help:
That's what made last year's Twitterthon a success. YOU got behind it and told people about it--and it went viral. Let's see if we can do it again, okay?
Why we're doing this
Each year more than a million kids are lured into modern-day slavery where they’re raped for profit 30 or 40 times a night—night after night. Some of them are just 4 years old. Many are right in the U.S.
If that makes you angry, there IS something we can do about it.
Most kids are tricked into sex slavery because they don’t know the deceptive tactics of traffickers. What if we could warn children and their parents ahead of time?
What if we taught them about the lies traffickers use—and how to stand up against them? The rate of trafficking would drop and millions of kids would never enter the dark world of trafficking.
Reaching kids before the traffickers do
The B2F Project educates at-risk children and their parents about the dangers of trafficking through a strategic 6-week community campaign. The project's centerpiece is a wordless book that teaches kids to make wise choices—wordless so we don’t have to translate it into hundreds of languages. A 70-page companion curriculum reinforces the important concepts in the book.
The B2F wordless book and curriculum are complete and ready for testing next month in the Dominican Republic.
Once we have feedback from teachers and kids, we’ll begin distributing these amazing materials all over the world. The 1-day fundraiser will raise money to do that—and prevent millions of kids from ever being trafficked.What you can do
- Donate: Use the Chip-in widget above (or here) to donate $10. (You don't have to wait til 10/10/10 to donate of course.)
- Email: Tell 10 people about 10/10/10 and send them to www.born2fly.org or this blog.
- Blog: Post about 10/10/10. Include the Chip-in widget (see code below).
- Facebook: Talk about 10/10/10; include the Chip-in widget.
- Twitter: Tweet about it. Follow me, @DianaScimone, director of The B2F Project.
- Updates: Check my blog for the latest: www.dianascimone.com
- Show: Add a Twibbon to your Twitter and Facebook photos: http://twb.ly/9Hccsi
- Paste: Copy and paste this code for the Chip-in widget onto your blog and Facebook:
<embed src="http://widget.chipin.com/widget/id/fff5a4bf4be4bb24" flashVars="event_desc=10K%20people%20donating%20%2410%20each%20on%2010/10/10%20to%20stop%20child%20trafficking.%20All%20funds%20to%20go%20The%20Born2Fly%20Project%20to%20stop%20child%20trafficking.%20www.born2fly.org&color_scheme=blue" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowScriptAccess="always" wmode="transparent" width="220" height="220"></embed>
Traffickers think kids are commodities. On 10/10/10, tell kids they’re priceless.
All it takes is $10.