Drumroll please! Born2Fly’s weekly anti-trafficking radio program in India is such a success that we decided to launch a 2nd radio program. And this one we’re taking around the world!
Radio is an effective and low-cost way to reach millions of at-risk children and their parents, especially those who have no access to other materials or who are illiterate. Our weekly anti-trafficking radio program in India, for example, reaches 80 million children and parents every Sunday afternoon.
One of our junior broadcasters!
(photo by Kevin Patrick Nelson)
That program is specific to India, so we decided to create another radio program based on our existing B2F wordless book and teaching material -- one that can be used all over the world.
Thanks to a very generous grant, we’ve begun work on a 10-episode program called (what else?) Born to Fly. It’s a dramatized version of the storyline in our wordless book: A young caterpillar named Blossom has a dream to fly, and in her quest to follow her dream, she learns 5 important truths -- the hard way, of course!
Each episode includes music, drama, characters, actors, and more — and ends with important anti-trafficking teaching for kids such as:
- Choices have consequences.
- It’s important to know who your true friends are.
- You are valuable.
- You have to patient and persevere when you’re following your dream.
- You were born to fly; don’t settle for less.
- And lots more
Scripts for all 10 episodes will be ready by the end of the year, and then we’ll make them available -- free of charge -- to radio broadcasters around the world. We’ll even include an instrumental theme song along with material they can translate and send to kids who text or write in responding to the program.
Around the world
Radio broadcasters have already found out about this new program and are already emailing me about it!
- In Mozambique, for example, a radio station is interested in airing the program. They already reach 500,000 kids twice a day!
- Africa by Radio is a consortium of radio networks throughout the continent. In a few weeks they have their annual Africa-wide convention in Kenya and will promote our new radio program to the delegates. One of the directors told me that 60% of Africa's population are youth, and radio stations are looking for material for them.
- In India, we already have plans to air the program beginning in January.
- Our partner in Nepal is also interested in the program.
Reaching 100's of millions of kids
The potential number of children we can reach by radio is in the hundreds of millions, so the program is a very strategic way to reach kids before the traffickers do. This product will be multiplied all over the world, reaching countless children in many, many countries.
If you’re interested in broadcasting the program, please email me at diana (at) born2fly (dot) org and I’ll send you information as soon as it’s ready. You’ll be able to download it without charge on our website. Just register right on the site (traffickers need not apply) and once we approve your application, we’ll send you a password to download whatever you want.
This is the kind of innovative and strategic way we can stop child trafficking when we have donors to back it up. We’re so grateful to our awesome donor for funding this project. Many, many children will never be trafficked because of it.